Traveling is stressful. Traveling during the holidays is extra stressful. I’ve been there, I used to fly home every Christmas when I was away for college. It can be overwhelming, time-consuming and claustrophobic. I can’t prevent things from going wrong, but hopefully this list will help make things less stressful when you’re traveling. This is a long list, but these are all things that I have found make traveling for myself easier.
Here are 16 Things to Remember When You’re Traveling.
- Know the weather ahead of time and pack accordingly. If you can pack light and easy, then that’ll make your life easier.
- Download movies and books ahead of time because the Airport WiFi might be overloaded with too many people on it.
- Don’t leave the house without double checking you have all your important documents (like passports etc).
- Download the app for your airline to make traveling easier, and can get notifications for any issues that might arise around your flights.
- Give yourself more than 2 hours to get through security lines, even more, if you are at a major airport like LAX, ATL, JFK.
- If you are checking your suitcase, make sure it is clearly marked that it is yours. A unique color suitcase or a ribbon to tie around the handle that makes it obvious it is yours.
- If you’re traveling with kids (or honestly have it for yourself) bring an extra change of clothes.
- Before going through security, put everything into your carry on. This will make going through security easier and you don’t have to worry about forgetting to grab your wallet or watch.
- Always double check your gate. Even if you are there early, gates can change.
- If something goes wrong (like delays, cancellations etc) please remember to be nice to the Customer Service Agents. They are only people and they are doing their best.
- Bring food or snacks because sometimes you might not have time to get food, or the line is too long.
- Bring an empty water bottle and fill it up past security. Staying hydrated is important when traveling. Did you know the air pressure in a plane cabin is as dry as the Gobi Desert?
- Bring spare portable battery, as there may not be any room to charge your devices at the charging stations.
- Bring headphones, no one else needs to hear your music or tv show.
- Use the bathroom before you get on the airplane.
- For the plane, bringing face wipes and a travel toothbrush and toothpaste will make you feel refreshed after a long flight.
Any tips you think are helpful?